christian boobs

i have a slight problem.

i’m a christian.

there it is. that’s it really.

women

i just saw that there is a movement to bring back head coverings in the christian world blog-o-sphere.

head coverings.

a head covering movement.

there has been blog after blog over women and their role. book after book about women in ministry, and true femininity and blah, blah, blah. jesus feminists and anti-feminists and submissive women and the real men that bring them to the surface.

i think i have another problem.

i don’t think much about the fact that i’m a woman.

i just think of myself as a person.

people

i honestly don’t filter what i offer or say through the fact that i have female genitalia.

maybe that makes me odd. no, it probably does. it’s definitely made for some awkward moments.

like that one where i openly questioned a pastor about his preaching technique.

awkward.

or the one where i spoke my mind in opposition to my husband at a church outing.

awkward.

how about the time i asked a christian brother to stop sharing his deeply flawed theology after we had a child with down syndrome.

that was a little awkward.

in retrospect, i’m sure all these precious moments would have been slightly better received coming from a person who could also haul a washing machine. fine. whatever. the point is, i didn’t stop to think about it because i consider myself a human being. a person with a mind and opinions that I can share if I so choose.

radical.

children

i remember a man once saying to me:

“zena, you’re really funny. no. really. you’re actually funny.”

and what i think he meant was that i was smart. i think he meant that i could call events into question and have thoughtful, reasoned positions and even share them in an articulate, humorous way.

shocking, i know.

i was confused by his “compliment.” and then i remembered. oh right. i have boobs.

people are strange.

but christians are the strangest.

writing with emily today…

This entry was posted in christian culture, me. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to christian boobs

1. Zena I am so glad I found you, your words, your heart and your blog. This is wonderful. Thank you sweet one.

2. oh girl. i relate. really. in all the best ways.

i spent too long hating the fact that God made me with a mind AND the female parts – then i decided to let people have their thing. if i rock their boat, well, maybe it’s a blessing disguised as a skirt … ?
    anyway, some of my most radical changes of perspective have come from people who forget what they’re ‘supposed’ to be. so here’s hoping.

great post.

3. Erica says:

Heh..heh heh.
    Preach, my sistah. I don’t filter my thoughts or words through those parts of my body either. AhMAZEing, I know!

4. Drew says:

Zena, I was just in Galatians 3 this morning. Your post IS radical. Imagine how radical it was when Paul said something like it 2000 years ago in Turkey. The world has always been all about gender, race, and class. Still is. As we get closer to Christ, He illuminates that there are only two positions in His kingdom, God and Child.
    “For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus. And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes. There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus.” – Gal 3:26-28 NLT
    Superglad we have the same Dad!

5. Drew says:

P.S. I’m really thankful for my wife’s Christian boobs! Just sayin’.

6. tonia says:

ha! Love this. I don’t know you well enough to know how you arrived at such a space….I think many of us have had our female-ness drilled into us from day one…but I think it’s a kind of wonderful place to be. Hope I arrive there someday. 🙂

7. Angela says:

Wow, love your perspective! When women say, “My purpose in life as Christian woman is to be a SAHM and helpmeet to my husband.” I think, “Agh! No! Your purpose in life is to glorify God and love your neighbor as yourself!” Maybe it’s because I’ve been pregnant and/or breastfeeding nonstop for 10 years, but I do think about the fact that I’m a woman – and I’m thankful that God made me as such because it rocks to be female. However, I don’t let “being a woman” guide my behavior or speech, or concern myself with displays of femininity. When I judge my own behavior, the question I ask is, “Am I being Christlike?” not “Am I being feminine and submissive?”

I think headcovering and other concepts of modesty as a spiritual practice can be enriching and beautiful for both sexes. As a cultural practice in which women are told they must cover their heads to show that they are below men, or that femaleness is somehow inferior to maleness? That’s messed up.

8. zena says:

Thanks for your perspective Angela – well said!

Drew – you’re really funny. Really!

9. Julie Riley says:

I actually think a whole bunch of the bible was written by women… the ones where they are just “guessing”. Either way, love this.

10. Megan says:

I think we have the same problem.

11. zena says:

Ha! Love you Megan.

12. Kerry Kate says:

I agree with Kelli completely. I have wished so many times that I did not have both a mind AND female parts. There is a quote in The Great Gatsby where Gatsby’s wife gives birth to a little girl, and immediately hopes that she is a “beautiful fool.” There are times where I really start to wonder, “am I stupid,” or, “Was I just fooling myself thinking that my grades reflected my intelligence?” I hope someday to get to a place where I don’t feel afraid to share my opinions and thoughts because I know they will be disregarded based on my gender.

13. zena says:

i hope so, too.

thank you for sharing your thoughts here.

– zena

14. Kristi Soave says:

Zena I have not been faithfully following your blog I must admit. Life has been incredibly busy. However-I absolutely am feeling totally blessed by this post.

I never even remember I have boobs. I just go about speaking to folks like I was just a human also. Imagine us Christian boobed women just thinking we actually have brains. The nerve of us all. Lol

I love this post and I love you Zena. I miss you too.

15. James says:

I am undoubtedly not the target audience for your blog, but I’ll throw this in anyway — it is hard to miss that there is almost zero reference to the Bible, either in the post or in the comments. I don’t really know your background or beliefs, but does that matter to you?

In other words, while it may be all well and good in your own mind to think of yourself as a person and not as a woman, the Bible has things specifically addressed to both men and women, so if you claim it (the Bible) as your authority, you need to think of yourself as a woman at least some of the time.

16. zena says:

thanks james.

i’ll be talking that one over with jesus. he’s in the bible, too, right?

– zena

17. Tim says:

Again, you nail something most folks avoid talking about.
    Head coverings? What in the hell is that about?
    Anyway, with no intent to objectify, I roll with Proverbs 5:19
    Father knew what He was doing when we were designed and I celebrate my wife’s rack.

What do you think?

Your email address will not be published.